Renewing City Hall Park and its surrounding public spaces
City Hall Park was established in 1911 as Seattle’s first downtown park and named after the adjacent County-City Building, which housed government offices for both Seattle and King County. City Hall Park has evolved over the years but remains one of downtown’s largest public green spaces, serving the nearby neighborhoods of Pioneer Square, Yesler, and Chinatown/International District.
Seattle Parks & Recreation (Parks) recently initiated a redesign process for City Hall Park. Building on previous public engagement and open space design processes throughout Pioneer Square, Parks is seeking new schematic options for City Hall Park that consider the site’s historical and neighborhood context, as well as its connections to other public spaces, including Prefontaine Place and Fortson Square.